CRANSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
Come work for an award-winning library system that values a commitment to public service and supports the professional development of its library staff. The Cranston Public Library is seeking an extraordinary candidate for the position of Business Manager. This position is supervised by the Library Director, but requires the exercise of discretionary, independent judgment. It is a confidential position, responsible for the financial recordkeeping of the library, office management, human resources, labor relations, and maintaining all related records. This is a full time 35 hour per week position and is located at the Central Library.
The Cranston Public Library (CPL) system consists of a central library with five branch locations. CPL serves a population of 80,000 residents and is one of the busiest public libraries in Rhode Island. In 2016 CPL received the LibraryAware Community Award and in 2015 was named Library of the Year by the University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Library and Information Studies. CPL is a member of the Ocean State Libraries (OSL) consortium.
For more information on our library please visit: www.cranstonlibrary.org.
The Cranston Public Library is committed to creating and maintaining a staff that gives open expression to the Library’s organizational values and brings a rich diversity of peoples and talents to the accomplishment of the Library’s Mission.
The Cranston Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. The Library is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees regardless of race or color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, country of ancestral origin, or other protected class status.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary range is $45,000-$55,000 a year
Full benefits package including vacation, sick time, dental insurance, health insurance, life insurance, and retirement plan.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
• Under supervision of the Library Director, this position is responsible for the financial recordkeeping of the library and also performs office management duties, human resource functions, and maintains all records. In addition, this position provides confidential administrative support to the Library Director and Assistant Director. This is a 35 hour per week position.
This position is confidential in the labor-nexus context, assisting the Library Director, outside labor counsel and Library Board of Trustees. The Business Manager, in the course of discharging the job duties, will be privy to and have regular contact with confidential information concerning anticipated changes, which may result from collective bargaining negotiations, grievance arbitrations, interest arbitrations, unfair labor practice proceedings, strategies related to the foregoing, and other labor relations functions. The Business Manager will also formulate and effectuate management policies by expressing and making operative the decisions of the Library Director and Library Board of Trustees. In doing so, the Business Manager must exercise discretion within, or even independently of, established Library policy, and must be aligned with the Library’s management.
• Degree from an accredited two (2) year college or business school preferred. High School diploma required.
• One to three years of experience with payroll, bookkeeping, accounts payable, accounts receivable and human resources.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Provides exemplary customer service.
• Prepares payroll through City of Cranston’s financial system.
• Responsible for all aspects of accounts payable including coding invoices, preparing disbursements, and generating purchase orders, which are all processed through the City of Cranston’s financial system.
• Responsible for budget analysis for the purpose of budget forecasting.
• Supervision of office staff, including scheduling and training of personnel on various office and administrative duties.
• Provides monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
• Maintains the files for the library; coordinates compliance with state records retention procedures.
• Maintains personnel files and oversees aspects of personnel benefit administration.
• Maintains library petty cash account.
• Maintains proper documentation and reports for grant funds and capital accounts.
• Prepares deposits for all funds going into library operating expense accounts and restricted receipt accounts.
• Performs other duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• This position requires a high level of professionalism and confidentiality, exceptional tact, judgment, and discretion.
• Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google applications.
• Skill in bookkeeping with a high level of experience in Excel, including creation and maintenance of spreadsheets.
• Knowledge of standard office procedures and practices.
• Knowledge of personnel practices, human resources and basic labor relations principles.
• Proficiency in the use and maintenance of office equipment.
• Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives.
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
This job description is intended to be a general guide to the duties and responsibilities of the job and is not intended to list every possible task that the staff member may be called upon to perform.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Resumes & cover letter received by Tuesday January 30, 2018 will receive first consideration. Apply to Edward Garcia, Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
For job listings in RI and NE. Send new posts to email@example.com. Posts will appear for 3 months unless you request it be deleted.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest